Friday 28 September 2007

New Lease of Life for my Hornby Class 37s

Most of my locos are in excellent condition, being either the high quality Hornby models (Class 31, 50, new 08 etc), Heljan or Bachmann.

I've got two older Hornby Class 37 locos (R402 37207 "William Cookworthy" in BR Blue and R348 37063 in Railfreight livery). Both are poor runners and are not much used.


I've investigated the price of replacement motors and bogies from Model Spares of Burnley. They're a friendly bunch, but I was looking at about £30 per loco all in.



Instead, I've decided to look around for the cheapest, new, Hornby 37s I can find. I eventually ordered 2x R2574 "DRS Class 37 038 Co-Co Diesel Electric Locomotive" from Rails of Sheffield for £37.50 each. My master plan is to remove (and sell on) the two DRS body shells, clip my existing BR Blue and Railfreight body shells onto the new chassis, and sell on the two old chassis for "spares or repair".

I recently did something similar for my aging HSTs, having bought two new Hornby Midland Mainline HST sets for just £54 each with two Mk3 coaches per set. Having sold on the parts, the upgrade paid for itself.

We'll see if I'm as fortunate this time.

I've also forked out for two of the obligatory Lenz Silver decoders. I've not seen a DCC installation on the web for a Hornby 37, so I may well document it here if I get chance.

No comments: