Friday 28 September 2007

Programming ANY CV Value Using the Lenz Compact

I've recently sold off my old Hornby HM2000+ controller and am upgrading to DCC. Having looked at the DCC systems out there, I eventually went for a second hand Lenz Compact DCC Starter Set - with a Compact controller, a TR100 transformer, two LE1024 decoders, and an LS150 stationary decoder. This was a bargin at £86 including shipping (it's over £160 new).

With all of my points already wired using good old Peco PL26 switches, I had no plans to use DCC here. I sold the LS150 for £23 - result!

Now, according to the manual, you can only alter CV values 1-4, 7-8 and 29 using the Compact. I discovered (quite by accident) how to program ANY CV value using the Compact - so here goes:

  1. Place the loco you wish to program onto the programming track.
  2. Enter programming mode "Pro" as normal.
  3. Select, and read off the value of R1 (CV1) - the loco address.
  4. Press F2 (X) to return, so the display reads "r1" again
  5. Now use the "-" or "+" buttons to scroll through r2, r3 as normal, but you'll now find that after r8, instead of wrapping back to r1, it continues to "c09" and onwards and right up to 255 - all CV values are now accessible for reading or writing.

I've not seen this documented anywhere on the web, and in fact have seen a few sites that state that the Compact cannot alter other CV values - I can confirm happily that this is not the case!

Hope this helps!

Mr RailsInTheRoof

No comments: